Let’s learn a little more about excellent guitarist and podcast-meister, Bruce Forman. Bruce has been very busy with his globetrotting Red Guitar show and hosts a popular jazz guitar-oriented podcast series called Guitarwank.
1. To start off with, tell us about the Red Guitar…
The Red Guitar is a one-man show I have been performing around the world. It combines playing, storytelling and humor. The show is an exploration of a life in the pursuit of sound and deals with the inner (and outer) struggles of the artist lifestyle. It is educational, humorous, probing, inspiring and entertaining.
2. How was Guitarwank born, and what are the best – and worst – parts of the podcasting process for you?
3. What Henriksen Amp(s) do you prefer and what settings do you use?
4. How would you categorize what you like to play?
While my basic conception of everything comes from bebop, swing and blues (I know, weird for a guitar player), I like playing in diverse settings: stylistically, and from an instrumentation and sonic perspective.
5. What’s the most interesting (good or bad) gig you’ve ever played or episode you’ve ever recorded? Give us the details!
I’ve played a lot of gigs, so that is a tough question to answer…there are so many! I have played with so many of my idols as well, so I feel exceptionally fortunate. But I know what you really want: OK, here’s one that comes to mind, I played with a trio that got hired to play at a swingers party, but they wanted us to wear some funny sleep masks that they provided so we couldn’t see…I’ll bet we all peaked, but we never discussed it.
6. Whats the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten at a gig?
They don’t feed jazz musicians, it just makes us complain more…
Leave A Comment